Marketing Analytics is the business of working out what to do next. How can we increase value in the shortest time? Those are the questions we seek to answer.
The benefit of Marketing Analytics is to save time and money on wasted effort
A marketing budget is precious, especially when it’s small. Don’t waste it.
Ultimately, it will come down to understanding the website visitor experience, and how to improve it. Less traffic, more human being.
In the Search for Needles, Google gives us More Haystack
The promise of Digital Marketing is that we should understand what is working, to prioritise. But the reality is usually a confusing bunch of graphs.
- Reports tell us what happened, not what to do next
- Averages hide data and make decisions more difficult
- Attributing success to initiatives is confusing
Poachers and Gamekeepers
If you ask someone to report on their own progress, what happens when things are not going so well?
Obfuscation. Misdirection. Avoidance.
There is a risk in asking someone to mark their own work.
Where do we start
At first, the need to produce more leads takes priority, reducing the cost of acquisition allows you to get more for less. In Search Marketing, we have a concept of ‘Converting Keywords’, the 0.5% of keywords that drive all the value.
What’s not Working?
Without experience its a job to know. Is it the traffic, the website or the content, when you don’t know what to fix it can take time, which means more overheads.
What exactly are we measuring?
Revenue Marketing is our Destination
There is nothing more draining than losing money on leads that go nowhere. We need that link between what it costs and what the returns are.
Lead Enquiry Database
Where do leads come from? If we focus on keywords and pages, then we can measure the improvement as we go along.
- But what is the conversion from enquiry to qualified lead
- How many qualified leads turn into quotes
- Were they followed up?
- Does that make a difference?
- Which pages and Keywords were responsible for the most revenue.
For the types of professional services companies we work for, those answers are not as simple as we would like
- Our best enquiries come in by phone
- We get three times more calls than web forms
- Our highest value solutions take a long time to turn into orders, how do we track them
Marketing Analytics Conversation
The difference between 1% and 2% is 100% – these things are not intuitive.